Sunday, August 8, 2010

Close Encounters with a Canteloupe

Sunrise



Yep sunrise found me on the road again! Starting an 5 AM, I headed east on a Bunburner/Saddlesore 1,000 mile/1,500 rides. The first one in 24 hours, the second in 36 hours.

I left Presho, South Dakota and swung south into Iowa and Nebraska. Large thunder storm cells moved from the west to east, cleaning a lot of the bugs my bike and rain gear had accumulated. At least it was cool. I headed down to Kansas City, then on to Saint Lewis. Crossing the Mississippi, I rode across Illinois and Indiana.


This was looking over my shoulder in Indiana as it set. The ride through Kentucky to Frankfort was great until I stopped to look for a room. I covered about 40 miles then gave up and slept for an hour and a half or so at my bike. Hitting the road again, I started hitting increasingly heavier fog. Driving on I saw an orange light ahead. It kept getting bigger and coming over one hill, I broke through the fog and found that the weird light was actually the moon coming up. It hung just above the mountains and looked unreal, like someone had hung a canteloupe in the sky.

I dropped back down in the fog and rode until I couldn't see the road. After another nap in a rest area, I headed into Charleston, West Virgina and stopped for breakfast. Following that, a sprint over the mountains and down to the beach and Home! This ride was 1,793.5 miles in 31 and a half hours. My total mileage was 15,894 for the 48 days. A disappointment at the end was my good buddy Dave was following me on spot and headed up to meet me with a cold beer. Spot can be delayed up to 20 minutes so he missed me. I went and collected this morning. Great trip, I'm planning another trip to Sturgis and the area around it for next year.

This Blog is now complete.

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australia 2009

Australia 2009