Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Preparations for my 2010 Trip to NY, Chicago, Oky City, Austin Tx, Yukon Territoty, Alaska, the NW, Sturgis and where ever!

The great thing about being retired is instead of dreaming about things, you can just do them! When Wild Hogs came out, an old friend and I, and our wives went to see it. Bill and I discussed picking up a couple of Harley's and bumming around as we both had them years ago. Within a year, He was gone due to cancer and my wife agreed to my whining about getting a Harley. That spring I rode 20,000 miles to Daytona, Laconia, NH, and to Milwaukee for Harleys 105th celebration.

For years I was an avid Hash House Harrier, a running-beer drinking group. With a Harley, as with the Hash, you meet all kinds of folks and when you put on your T-shirts you are just brothers (and sisters) from different mothers! No attitudes, no baggage, just friends.

Following a trip to Daytona Beach where my brothers Dave and Roger and I rode for 5 hours in temps below 20F, Dave had a party at his house. During the party, my brother Jimmy asked me to ride to Tenn. and swing down to Deals Gap to slay the Dragon. My bride of more the 40 years said no problem. A bit later, my brother Don asked if I was interested in a trip to Houston and Betty wasn't quite as quick to approve, but did none the less. As we were leaving, my brother Roger asked if I was interested in a trip to Australia and a 3400 mile dirt bike ride across the outback from Airlie Beach on the east coast, to Perth on the west coast. Betty said she thought I was crazy, but it was up to me!

From the pictures, you can see, I went to Tenn., and then to Australia, hit Laconia the day after I returned, then a week later headed to Houston. From Houston I rode up to visit the Austin Burgers (my son Ron and daughter in law Marlene) who were headed to Colorado. I rode to Roswell, NM with them and split for Scottsdale AZ to visit my youngest son. He is an airline pilot and was called for a trip and left the next day. I called a friend in San Diego and headed there. Headed back to meet Don in Houston, and then back home. Great ride and a great year until the fall when my brother un- expectantly passed away. Life is short.

This spring, a great trip in the cold to Florida with my nephew Steve, cold Daytona and cold Key West! Upon returning, a friend invited me to ride with him to Alaska. After a month of planning, his wife convinced him to cancel our trip. I mentioned my trip to my son Ron, and now we are headed out for Alaska, the Yukon Territory and where ever the road takes us. I'll link his blog and my satellite tracked when I figure out how to add links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australia 2009

Australia 2009