Friday, July 2, 2010

Looking back - Lessons learned



Happy Birthday to my bride, 43 bdays together, even if I'm not there!

My old friend Async asked about lessons learned on part one of my journey. I think there are a few, most importantly, the 10 day ride that starts in Louisiana and hits 49 states is never going to be a trip for me! I now can understand what monkey butt power is for, although after the first day, I'm pretty comfortable in the saddle 8-10 hours.

The first day was all interstate and I ended up with 38 miles per gallon, Route 66 was small towns and 55 and I averaged 48 mpg and was much less worn out at the end of the day.

No GPS and poor maps are fine, it's the trip not the destination. My son and I will continue not using the most direct route to Alaska but a little more direct than my route here. I turned my 1520 mile trip into 3426 miles.

I'm off to lunch with my grand daughters now and to shop for a new helmet. My bike week cheap bungie net stretched and left my full helmet for the road crew to pick up in Ohio. Got to replace it as Canadian temps are in the low 60's for highs.

Headed to Baytown, about five hours away Monday evening to have new brakes, an oil cooler and the bike serviced at KT's Cycle. He is the most knowledgeable Harley guy you will ever meet and the brother of my friend Don or Flash as he is known in Texas. Still playing with my load, trying to figure the best way to load so each day I have to take minimal stuff off.

Last thought, I used the new Lithium batteries in spot. After eight days the voltage level is higher than new Alkaline batteries with spot transmitting every 10 minutes. Maybe they are worth the $2.30 each AAA costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australia 2009

Australia 2009